Thursday, February 10, 2011

"I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow..." ~ Kermit the frog

When it comes to weaving--or spinning, or knitting, or painting for that matter--color is the most fascinating element in my "play".  You can still give me a box of 128 Crayolas and turn me loose with a sheet of newsprint, and I'll be happy.  My friend Nancy asked me last week if there are any colors that "don't go together"--my answer was "No".  But fiber has captured my heart in a way that crayons never have, and so the tactile nature of the fiber arts comes in a close second to color.

A few years ago, I played around with acrylic paints and watercolors and chalks and colored pencils--all the things I never did when I was young.  "Art" wasn't considered very important in my birth family.  And so I studied math and language , and became a teacher.  But as I got older, the fun started!  Oh, I had been dabbling in knitting for a long time, but becoming a "crone" at age 60 really offered me the freedom to follow my heart....and Saori weaving and free-style knitting gave me permission.

 Progress on my Saori banners--




a blue "river" inlay




The yellow tag pinned to the selvedge shows 130 inches...


Colored bits of handspun waiting for the loom...

And Rosie bides her time....

No comments:

Post a Comment